Wednesday, May 11, 2016

One day at the crossroads.....

Anyone that knows me knows that I am notorious for purging. I often go through my closets and house hold items to find things that I do not want or need any longer then post them online to sell. My rule is – if it hasn’t been used or worn in a year it must go.

Very recently I posted two very sexy pairs of shoes on Craigslist to unload, you know, the killer “You can’t tell me shit heels (unfortunately my narrow-ass feet won’t let me be great). I was overjoyed when I received an inquiry not long after I posted as sometimes it can take quite a while to attract interest in your merchandise.

General rules of web e-commerce: discretion and impartiality. Never do I try to pry into a customer’s personal affairs. I play by the following rules:

·         Respond to the inquiry, confirming the sale.
·         Agree on a public place to meet.
·         Exchange contact info in preparation for the exchange.
·         
Regarding this particular transaction I did take note that the email address seemed to indicate that I was communicating with a man. No biggie, in the past, I had a gentleman pick up a pair of shoes from me for his sister, or so he claimed.

As me and this gentleman, for the purposes of this story let’s call him John, made arrangements to meet our correspondence took an interesting turn.  John asked me if I minded that he would be purchasing the shoes for himself.  He disclosed that he like to cross-dress and recognized that some people were uncomfortable with that.

I admit, I was caught a bit off guard. I mean let’s be honest, there’s nothing nurturing about me, I don’t know this guy. It took a sec but after pulling my world together, I reassured John that I was fine with our transaction and proceeded to confirm the location of the sale. This is when things got really interesting.

Apparently my reassurance to John that there was a lack of prejudice here put him at ease.  For the next several days he began pouring his heart out to me, I became his email therapist, web counselor, online life coach.  John shared pieces of his journey with me, his likes, his dislikes, his insecurities. He inquired about makeup, shoes and clothes, even asked if I had any additional items to show him that he may be able to add to his wardrobe. 

Over the next few days our communications became consistent, corresponding through email several times a day. I suspected that our upcoming meeting was making John a bit nervous which made me equally anxious.

Our rendezvous occurred in a Starbucks parking lot. I felt like I was walking into an emotional war zone and I wasn’t even close to being prepared.  My anxiety grew as I waited (I always feel as though I may be meeting with a serial killer) but much to my surprise John was not the young 20 something man that I had imagined. He was, in fact, in his late 40’s/early 50’s and when approaching me had the air of a confident, testosterone filled man.

We stood in the parking lot as we chatted a bit as he “browsed” through the merchandise that I brought.  We made the exchange but before we said our goodbyes as he asked me to keep in touch. Feeling a bit more comfortable after formally meeting, as well as being curious, I obliged.
As John pulled off, I turned to get in my car and locked eyes with a woman that had been ogling the entire transaction. As she began to giggle and tried to bait me into a conversation, I gave her my legendary death stare to silence whatever ignorance that she planned to share.
We kept in touch for several days. He contacted me and thanked me incessantly for the new additions to his closet. John disclosed that he uses silicone breasts to fill out his clothing and asked if I wanted to help him learn how to do makeup (I most definitely not be of any help here). 
Unfortunately I had to let him go. Although I am very curious about his journey, John did ask if I wanted to see him dressed as a woman. I want to, I truly do, however I do recall John telling me that he only cross-dresses in the comfort of his own home.  I had to pass, this has all the makings of an ID TV or First 48 special, after all, we did meet on Craigslist.


So ended our whirlwind friendship. I can only pray that our brief encounter brought John some encouragement and confidence to live in his truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment