Thursday, January 16, 2014

Chronicles of the Unemployed….Pt. 1



So life took an interesting turn at the end of 2013 and I was laid off.  I was notified in August and being that my employer was nice enough to offer me a severance package and I had a project that I was interested in completing  I made the decision to stick around until the bitter end.

After an insane work schedule and school I looked forward to some down time, reconnecting with family and friends during the holidays and getting my attitude back in line after going thru a less than desirable situation after I wrapped up my tenure with my employer.

So after several annoying family gatherings, over spending and a few snow storms I find myself slowly going stir crazy.  I went from working two jobs to not working at all, from never being home to being home ALL of the time.  What is one to do when they have too much idle time??? Here are a few of the special things that have gone down in my house:
  1. The hysterical cleaning sessions at 4AM. I’m sure my neighbor upstairs LOVES the sound of my vacuum cleaner waking her at that hour. But you know what? I’m not too amused at the sound of her 20lb fat ass cat jumping off of the furniture all night either so OH WELL.
  2. Late night Celebrity Ghost Stories marathons.  Nothing like scaring yourself into insomnia.
  3. I found out my treadmill still works and should no longer should be used as a coat hanger.
  4. I am a certified text stalker. I’m sure my friends hate me by now.
  5. Late night conversations. There is NO reason for me to still be on the phone at 3AM. I am NOT in high school.
  6. Late at night I become a celebrity chef…..Who knew??!!  
  7. Really in depth conversations about the current state of my life. Then I realize……I’m alone (I swear I’m not crazy).
  8. My favorite spot in the in the whole apartment is the left end of my couch. I’m pretty sure there’s a butt imprint there.
  9. I pace….a LOT. I think I’ve worn a path clear thru the center of my apartment.
  10. I’m a dreamer. I’m unemployed, I should NOT be utilizing my time on real estate websites.

Four weeks at home and I’m restless as all hell. With that in mind I desperately seek employment before either I start answering myself in those “in depth” conversations or my neighbors petition for me to be put out.
Til next time…..





3 comments:

  1. Dear JerzeeDiva:
    First I'd like to say that I empathize with your current unemployment status. For I'm sure, by reading your woes above, you by far have some personality and appear to have many hidden talents that would be an asset to any institution.
    Now…it’s funny you say you went from working two jobs to none. Ever heard of the cliché “everything happens for a reason?” Perhaps it was a sign from your higher power that the “down time” was truly overdue and highly recommended. In turn, what did it permit you to do? Oh, that’s right…spend time with annoying family and great friends! Love this! You can pick and choose your friends but not your kin unfortunately, so just embrace it. Besides, friends are the new extended family!!!
    Idle time can be deemed “dangerous” sometimes. “Why,” one may say? Simply because it permits you to overthink things: past, present and future. You either second guess yourself, become more proactive, finding yourself constantly overanalyzing situations which leads you to talking to yourself (this is normal but when you respond, that’s when this becomes questionable).
    1. No worries to you cleaning at 4:00 a.m. At least you believe in cleaning house. My grandmother used to say “you can’t think clearly with a crowded space.” Those that have idle time sometimes become horters. Let’s just call this the big payback to your unruly neighbor. If anyone that needs to go, it’s her obese feline.
    2. Celebrity Ghost stories? Uuuhm, and you wonder why you can’t sleep? Try watching one of these dumb ass reality shows. You’ll be sure to catch some zzz’s then.
    3. Treadmills are notorious for multi-purpose household functions. Don’t you dare ruin the tradition.
    4. So idle time has forced you to clutch your phone to monitor how long it takes someone to respond? Not good enough! Next time, email them and within 5 minutes of hitting send, call them. That’ll really shake things up a bit.
    5. See Response #4.
    6. If you’ve become a celeb chef, then you’ll really be dating your treadmill more often. Kudos for making it feel more at home.
    7. Sometimes being alone is a good thing. Gives you time to personally evaluate your rights/wrongs, goals, etc. Just do me a favor, don’t ever make a disclaimer that “you’re not crazy.” Most that do generally are.
    8. There’s always a cure for the couch potato syndrome. Try making the left side of the couch be your favorite spot. Hey, someone’s got to even out the coils in that bad boy. Then when that’s done, tamper into Buddhism. I’ve heard the floor is always good for posture.
    9. Pacing is a sign of nervousness. You have no agenda remember? Wth?
    10. Unemployment + real estate websites= Seriously?
    In sum, take your setback to give you ammunition as a great comeback!
    -Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait.. you mean to tell me thats not whats supposed to happen? DANG IT! I've been doing it all wrong again.

    ReplyDelete